Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"The Bean Diaries," I announced.

My husband wrinkled his nose at the name. I told him I didn't have much of a choice, since "The Ramen Diaries" was already taken and he pleaded with me not to name it "Beans & Cornbread", citing an irritating catchphrase on an episode of Tosh.0 that I'd never seen.

But I rather like the name. It's different, but it's uncomplicated and should be relatively easy to remember: it's an ongoing journal about learning to save money. Especially grocery money. By cooking cheap stuff like beans.

Living on one income in this economy is tricky. And at this stage in our lives--with a baby on the way and Daniel still working his way up the career ladder--learning to leave a two-income lifestyle while simultaneously adding a third member to our family is proving to be especially tricky. I know I can't be the only one out there feeling the pinch. The purpose of The Bean Diaries is to be my steady companion through the coming months of trial and error as we learn how to make wise use of the resources we're given. One of the biggest places our wallet takes a hit every month is the grocery budget, making it an easy target for penny-pinching renovations. We all know the clichés of eating on a budget....

· Buy popcorn and rice in 15-year supplies at the bulk warehouse stores

· Consume a daily ration of oatmeal for breakfast, ramen noodles for lunch, and beans and cornbread for dinner (or eat gruel 3 times a day, if you're especially budget-savvy)

· Grow a pair of coupon-clipping scissors where your index and middle fingers used to be

...But what if dinner doesn't have to be barely edible every night? What if a tight budget can still leave room for a variety of fresh, satisfying, meat-and-potatoes meals all week? What if my picky husband and picky brother (and their picky friends) can sit around a dinner table and feel like they're being blessed with a lovingly prepared meal, rather than feeling like they need to be polite about the "economical" plate set before them?

I'm convinced nonfat dry milk, quick-sale butcher's specials, dented cans of veggies--and yes, even a pot of beans--can be transformed into something beautiful at the dinner table. This is the place where you'll see me prove myself right or go mad trying.

Recipes, strategies, etc. to come. Stay tuned for more exciting developments!


Happily Ever,
~Ashley Michele~


1 comment:

  1. I am SO excited to see you writing here! :) Looking forward to more, more, more! :) Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete